Sunday, July 27, 2008

... the rest of the story



...However, ..tish? happens. 82 klicks (Kilometers) on the Rock (Newfoundland) a terrible thing happened to our bike. Until our insurance settles, I can't tell you exactly what happened but our bike was disabled and we were ok. We did not fall or anything like that but after this little mishap happened we were unable to use our motorcycle. Our friends from Canada, (Stuart and Carolyn), Emory and Kathy, and a friendly bunch in a car stopped to help us. I ended up getting a ride to the hotel where we were going to stay for the night with Stuart on his bike. Stuart's wife, Carolyn, went with the two men and woman and their kids in their car. Kathy and Em were on their bike. (I was uneasy about riding with someone I didn't know, in a province I've never been, with people who look like Hell's Angels. So the look on my face must have shown every bit of apprehension ... so Carolyn stepped up to the plate and pinch-hit for me---she rode with the people who stopped to help). She said these people were the nicest people and they couldn't have been friendlier. Silly me ... I watch too many horror-type movies and my imagination took off. Ed got the bike 52 miles from where the occurrence happened to the hotel. Everyone was safe and sound at the "St. Christopher's Hotel" that night. Hmmmm, St. Christopher - doesn't that sound like someone was looking out for us? The next day Emory had to take Kathy and then me to the ferry. Ed somehow got the bike and trailer on the ferry, and Stuart and Carolyn changed their plans and got on the same ferry on a stand-by basis - just to help us out. Luckily for all of us, the tropical storm by-passed the western part of the island and hit the eastern end. I don't know how or why but the seas were as calm as can be ... another one of God's little gifts to us. We had a very pleasant crossing ... in fact..quite fun. At the end of the ferry ride, when we got to Nova Scotia, we had to get to our vehicles to disembark. I was with the other motorcycles ready to get off the boat. Nobody was moving. The smell of fumes was getting to me and I started to get angry. What the heck is going on?????.Oh yeah, Ed and the bike was stuck on the gratings of the off ramp of the ship. He couldn't move. The workers on the ship had to get a board to lift up the center stand on the bike to get it across the grating so he could move our poor ole bike. As soon as they got the bike over the hump, we could all get off. Then Ed could move off the ramp and over to the side of the road to figure out what we were going to do now? We called a couple Honda places to see if they could look at and possibly fix our bike but in that area of the world it seems like they only sell a few motorcycles a year and have no parts or anyone qualified to fix a major problem. So now we had to figure out how to get our bike home... We ended up getting a 26-foot U-Haul Truck. The cost of the truck, gas, and tolls to get home was astonishing. We had four adults in a truck side by side for 22 hours. Now I know how sardines feel.

No comments: